Subject: Re: PCMCIA cards and various Q's in 1.4.1
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/09/1999 16:41:46
On 9 Dec 1999, Michael Graff wrote:

>dbsaint@bellsouth.net writes:
>
>> I have a laptop that I'm trying to get networked and so on.. I have a PCMCIA
>> modem that /netbsd finds and reports everything ok .. ie no 'Device not
>> configured' messages and it says something to the extent of com3 for that
>> device. How do I know what device file this modem is on ? would it be
>> /dev/tty00, 01 ? I cant get a dial tone from the phone line. It is not a
>> winmodem < since it has worked in linux > any Ideas?
>
>IMHO, it should be saying "com3, /dev/tty03" or the like.  But oh
>well.
>
>Try /dev/tty03, since that is where it probably is.  You might need to
>run MAKEDEV to make that device...

Yes, the GENERIC kernel attaches a PCMCIA modem at com3, and when I
put one in my laptop this is where it appeared (using IRQ15!).

I did however have to run

	MAKEDEV tty3

to create the device file, as a standard installation creates only
/dev/tty00 and /dev/tty01.

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |