Subject: Re: Booting without video card....
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/04/1999 13:39:50
In message <m11uKHC-000g6HC@most.weird.com>,
Greg A. Woods writes:

>Rumour has it that Intel's got something similar to the Compaq IRC
>support in some of their new boards, such as the C440GX+ Server Board,
>but perhaps a bit better.  It's called the "Emergency Management Port".
>It doesn't look terribly useful though as it doesn't give full BIOS
>access either.  Why can't these goofs just use OpenFirmware!?!?!?!?

Is this the same EMP protocol that's used on N440BX motherboards?
It's more of a remote access to the power/reset buttons and the
BIOS-level hardware error logging (like S.M.A.R.T, but I'm not au-fait
with this stuff). But there's options to set up for PC-ANSI or vt100,
so maybe one can get at the BIOS text menus that way.  Horrible.

What's so great about OpenFirmware? That Forth is CPU-independent
(so OFW roms can be MI), that it's easy to redirect to serial ports,
or something else?