Subject: Re: Problems with Intel EtherExpress PRO 10 ISA
To: Steve Paul <stevep@mccue.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/04/1999 16:02:26
On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 04:58:26PM -0800, Steve Paul wrote:
> Just for grins, try a mediatype of: just "auto" and if that
> doesn't work, try "UTP" (no quotes on either).
>
> Different NIC driver creators have chosen different media-type
> selections.  I usually try 3 or 4 different mediatypes in the prompt
> before guessing which works.   I have a few Intel NIC based NetBSD
> servers and they all required "auto" instead of "autoselect".

I can't see how this is possible. Media type is parsed by ifconfig, not by
ethernet drivers. "auto" and "autoselect" are both supported and
should should have the same effect (they call the IFM_AUTO media type).
Maybe it's just interraction with the remote hardware (switch or hub) that
gave you this impression ?  With some combination autoneg can take some
time ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>