Subject: Re: Hello
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/02/1999 10:46:27
>> I am using NetBSD 1.4.1 and I'm woundering if I can use mouse in console

> As far as I know, there is no support for that.  [...]

> For NetBSD it's important to be very consistent across platforms -
> and while the i386 allows random display writes while in text mode,
> I'm not sure the same is true for all platforms.  For example, I
> don't think we could provide console mouse on Sun3, Sparc,

I know the sun3 and sparc well enough to be sure that there's no
technical reason you couldn't do this on a headed machine.

> or any platform with serial console only...

Well, yeah, any headless platform is hopeless.  But so are many other
things we don't worry about; I see no reason we shouldn't support
text-console mouse use on platforms that can.  (As long as it's
zero-overhead when configured out at kernel build time, if any part of
it is in the kernel.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca