Subject: Re: kernel panic: what next?---- maybe a PR?
To: Lazaro Daniel Salem <SALEM@statoil.com>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/30/1999 16:51:16
SALEM@statoil.com said:
> So...either the SB card had jumpers that don't work (I doubt it) or
> the kernel is reporting bad.

I don't know the hardware well, but it seems that the driver has no way
to read out the irq setting from the card, so the kernel configuration
must match reality.

> Booting OpenBSD (2.5 install floppy disk) or FreeBSD showed no
> conflict, neither did the linux kernel 2.0.3*

The comparition is not entirely fair - the NetBSD install kernel
booted as well after all. The other kernels probably didn't
support sb _and_ mms.

> Does this qualifies for a PR?

As far as the panic is concerned - no. This is a known issue; and
with ISA hardware it is generally not possible to guess the
actual card settings.
The install notes are incomplete wrt hardware settings - agreed.

best regards
Matthias