Subject: Re: PPP routing
To: static <static@yooniks.org>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/26/1999 22:40:35
Hi,

Usually, whenever an interface is added, a "route add <address> 127.0.0.1"
(the loopback route) command is done (take a look at /etc/netstart).  I'm
not sure if using PPP makes it any different, but I don't see what adding
a route like that should screw up your IP NAT.  In fact, my NAT box has
such routes for all of its interfaces.

Hope this helps.
	Rick

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, static wrote:

> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 20:27:31 -0500 (EST)
> From: static <static@yooniks.org>
> To: port-i386@netbsd.org
> Subject: PPP routing
>
> Hello,
>
> 	I noticed that when I send any traffic to myself using my PPP IP
> address, it goes out into the network then back to me. Is there a way I
> can avoid this? I did 'route add 207.96.8.15 127.0.0.1' for a while, but I
> found out that screws up with my NAT stuff. I'm used to Linux's behavior
> on this, which is to send anything to my IP directly without the extra
> hop.
>
> I want to be able to do this because I run a local IRC server and want to
> take advantage of it, and want to have my users be able to connect to it
> without using up any extra bandwidth.
>
> Thanks,
> Claudio

Rick Byers                       University of Waterloo, Computer Science
rickb@iaw.on.ca                               http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/