Subject: Re: problems with swap partition on 1.2
To: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/17/1999 01:40:52
On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 04:49:03PM -0500, Anne Bennett wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I am trying to upgrade my Pentium to NetBSD 1.4.1 (from 1.2), by first
> copying the whole current system (/, /usr, /var) to a spare partition
> (sd0g), booting from that, then repartitioning the rest of the disk,
> Do you have any idea at all what might cause a 1.2 system booted on
> sd0g to (a) try to savecore from sd0h instead of sd0b, and (b) claim
> that sd0b is "not configured"?

  I seem to recall that earlier NetBSDs used to assume, in at
least some locations, that the swap partition was root+1, i.e.,
g+1 = h for your setup.  If you want to be sneaky, edit your
disklabel and point sd0h to the same place as sd0b.  Or, if you
want to be a little bit nicer, rename sd0b to sd0h, and change
your /etc/fstab on your 1.4.1 system to use swap on sd0h, not
sd0b.  Or, split sd0b into two pieces, and call one sd0b and the
other sd0h.

  If you don't like any of those ideas, you might be able to
sidestep some problems by using a swapfile on sd0g, and no swap
partition per se -- does 1.2 support swapping to files?  (I
thought so, but can't remember for sure.)

  I hope this helps...

  Brian