Subject: problems with swap partition on 1.2
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/16/1999 16:49:03
Folks,

I am trying to upgrade my Pentium to NetBSD 1.4.1 (from 1.2), by first
copying the whole current system (/, /usr, /var) to a spare partition
(sd0g), booting from that, then repartitioning the rest of the disk,
newfsing as needed, and expanding the tar archives into place.  That gives
me a chance to switch between the two systems until I am satisfied with
my configuration of the new one.

All was going pretty well until I tried to boot from my copied system
on sd0g.  Then this happened:

Nov 15 16:11:22 vindemiatrix /netbsd: changing root device to sd0g
Nov 15 16:11:22 vindemiatrix /netbsd: WARNING: no swap space found
Nov 15 16:11:17 vindemiatrix savecore: /dev/sd0h: Device not configured
                                       ^^^^^^^^^
                                       "h"?!?  No such partition...

The system nevertheless came up multiuser and I was able to log in,
so I tried to add the swap space (which is on sd0b) manually with
"swapon -a", and got an error message to the effect that /dev/sd0b
is not configured.  Now this seems patently silly, since my partition
table is seen correctly, and my other partitions (sd0g for the system,
sd0f for "/big", my home directories and local software) mounted fine.
I was even able to mount sd0a on /mnt to look at the old fstab to see
if I had mangled something in the new version.

As far as I know, my kernel is built with "swap generic", though I
have since blown away the sources for 1.2 to make room for the new
distribution.  :-(

Do you have any idea at all what might cause a 1.2 system booted on
sd0g to (a) try to savecore from sd0h instead of sd0b, and (b) claim
that sd0b is "not configured"?

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Analyst, IITS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne@alcor.concordia.ca                                        +1 514 848-7606