Subject: Non-BSD partitions on IDE: any chance to access?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@digital.dp.ua>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/15/1999 14:50:24
Hello!

 I'm sorry if my question has already been discussed before (I've just joined
this list). So, is there any chance to access (mount for example) non-BSD
(e.g. MSDOS) partition on IDE HDD? Is there any plans to support this?
Or maybe I've missed something? In FreeBSD, there are slices (partitions
in DOS terminology, described by partition table(s)) and partitions (BSD
native term, described by disk label). So wd0s3e is 'e' partition on 3-rd
slice of wd0. In OpenBSD, there is wd0i,j etc. as a designators for 1-st,
2-nd etc. non-BSD partitions. But NetBSD minor conventions allow only
8 partitions per physical drive, thus making DOS partition invisible.
It would be nice to have access to other (non-BSD) partitions on the system
disk, isn't it?

P.S. Generally, there is a stupid situation. I have ATAPI ZIP, Ensoniq
Audio PCI card, and DOS partition on HDD. So support for those features
looks as following:

		ATAPI ZIP	Ensoniq Audio PCI	DOS partition
FreeBSD		    Yes		    No			    Yes
OpenBSD		    No		    Yes			    Yes
NetBSD		    Yes		    Yes			    No

;-()

Sincerely, Dmitry

Dnipropetrovsk State University,        E-mail:  dmitry@digital.dp.ua
Physical Faculty,                       WWW:      http://ff.dsu.dp.ua
Department of Experimental Physics
Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine                 FTP:  ftp://digital.dp.ua/DEC