Subject: Re: Problem making kernel
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/14/1999 19:15:21
On Sun, Nov 14, 1999 at 03:41:45PM +1300, Joe Abley wrote:
> [I am a NetBSD newbie. Many apologies if there is a more suitable
> stupid-questions list elsewhere (please feel free to point me at it)]
>
> I just installed 1.4.1/i386 on an IBM ThinkPad 380. Everything works
> just fine, except that when I attempt to configure a kernel, make
> bombs out on me. This is with the as-shipped GENERIC kernel config,
> by way of illustration:
>
>   nomad# cd /sys/arch/i386/conf
>   nomad# config GENERIC
>   Don't forget to run "make depend"
>   nomad# cd ../compile/GENERIC
>   nomad# make depend
>   *** Error code 2
>
>   Stop.

After all kinds of other dead-ends, I noticed that if I logged in
as root on the console, I didn't get this problem. If I logged in
as myself, I did.

Turns out the culprit was a "set -o vi-tabcomplete" in a file
referred to by the environment variable ENV, set in my .profile
(I use ksh). Take that out, and everything works.

ktrace was showing all the usual suspects in /usr/share/mk
being read, but make was finally failing after an fstat on
"depend" -- which you would think it wouldn't do, since there's
a clear "depend" target in one of the .mk files it .included.

Peculiar? I think so :) I've wrapped the set command inside a
case $- in *i*); ...; esac construct to prevent it running in
non-interactive shells, and that's good enough for me. Just
thought I'd pass on the details in case anybody else fancies
hunting through /usr/src/usr.bin/make/

[thanks to cyber for listening to my ramblings on #netbsd :)]

Joe

--
När det regnar flyglar från himlen så har de fattiga inga noter.