Subject: Re: inter-library dependencies
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/13/1999 20:51:50
On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

: > what does the warning below mean?
: >
: > *** Warning: inter-library dependencies are not known to be supported.
: > *** All declared inter-library dependencies are being dropped.
: > *** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
: > *** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
: > *** or is declared to -dlopen it.
:
: This warning is from pkglibtool, correct?
:
: It's just a warning. It means you can't, with a.out, really link a
: library into another library, and then expect that linking the second
: library into a program will automatically pull in the first library.

Actually, that's not true - it works fine on *NetBSD* a.out, as long as the
library that has the dependency also gets the appropriate rpath options.

I believe I sent the libtool guys the appropriate information to eliminate
this warning in the next full libtool release (...I'll check).

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)