Subject: RE: Simultaneous ppp connections
To: Matt Bell <mtbell@mb1.dial.servtech.com>
From: Mike Pelley <mike.pelley@coventus.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/11/1999 10:39:00
> I'm trying to set up my netbsd machine to do two
> simultaneous ppp connections. One of the dial-ins I
> want for outgoing packets and the other for incoming
> packets. Right now I have no trouble making the two
> connections at the same time and getting the packets
> to route out through the one connection. The only
> problem I seem to be having is getting access to my
> machine through the other connection. Any help would
> be appreciated.

So far as I understand, in order for the packets to go out ppp0 and come in
on ppp1, for example, they must leave ppp0 with a source ip address equal to
the local ip for ppp1.  The easiest way I can see to do this is to set your
default route to ppp1 (which sets the ip address correctly), and then ask
ipf to redirect them out the ppp0 interface.  The following line (from
memory mind you ;O) in /etc/ipf.conf should do this for you:

pass out quick on ppp1 to ppp0 from 0/0 to any

which basically says take packets that are heading out on ppp1 and instead
send them out ppp0.  Once they get to your destination the other end will
send it's reply to the source ip, which should make it come back in on ppp1.

A couple of tcpdumps should verify this for you (something like
tcpdump -n -i ppp0).  So far as I understand ppp though, if you are doing
this to improve performance you will not notice much difference between this
and a single modem.

Good luck!   Mike.