Subject: Re: Add a hard drive.
To: Jonathan Eisch <jeisch@boku.net>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/10/1999 08:41:26
On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 05:14:29PM -0600, Jonathan Eisch wrote:
> Does anyone know a procedure for adding an IDE hard drive to an existing
> NetBSD i386 system?  I know about mounting, I just need the info on
> formatting and partitioning.

1. Create a partition table entry for the drive in /etc/disktab (if no
   suitable entry exists yet).  Use the other entries as examples

2. Partition the drive using the name you specified in /etc/disktab:

   disklabel -w wd1 MyNewDisk

   (assuming wd1 is your new disk)

3. Format the partitions you created, for example:

   newfs /dev/wd1e
   newfs /dev/wd1f

4. Create mount points for the partitions, for example

   mkdir /my1 /my2

5. Mount the partitions, for example

   mount /dev/wd1e /my1
   mount /dev/wd1f /my2

6. Add the partitions in /etc/fstab so they get automatically mounted
   when the system boots up.

7. Hope this helps!

  -jm