Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 on a 64-bit PCI motherboard
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@solidum.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/03/1999 11:18:07
On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Michael Richardson wrote:

>   Yes, I have since learned this. We will be getting a Micron 64bit/66Mhz
> motherboard.  It has a PII on it. I don't know if/how it can make 64 bit
> access, perhaps some hacks in the bridge.

I think you mainly care about DMA, which should do 64-bit access if the
DMA engines are made right.

>   We need the bandwidth, yes.
>   Fortunately, the 2^31 block is not required to accessible to the host
> processor, just to the network adapters, except for debugging. We have
> decided to permit use of a 2^26 block for debugging purposes...

Check out how the bios will support things. I don't think it's going to
like having parts of the card accessable to other PCI cards and not to the
host. Chances are its goign to want to do everything with a 32-bit address
space on the pci bus. I could be wrong, but check into it. :-)

Take care,

Bill