Subject: Re: mozilla? was Re: Any Netscape usable on i386?
To: Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/02/1999 02:56:14
On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Danny Thomas wrote:

> I personally prefer using anything but Netscape since it does such an awful
> job with style-sheets, but what experience have people had with mozilla?

  Well, I tried it a while ago (don't remember when... might have been as
long as a year ago) and it was *much* worse then Netscape.  It was missing
many of the features and you didn't even need to load a page to crash it.
I suspect it is better now, but the status page does not make me think
that it is anywhere useable yet.  One rather disturbing comment on the
status page:
	Need to look closely at memory useage (besides leaks).  Our memory
	footprint is 4-5x larger then 4.7.

Yikes!

> Being open-source and architecture-neutral would have made it popular with
> NetBSD-folk, I would have thought. At least when it got to a usable state.

  There are several other open source web browsers still in the early
development stage.  These have the great advantage of not being based on
Netscape source.

  Personally, I use lynx as much as I use Netscape :).

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net