Subject: Re: Any Netscape usable on i386?
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/01/1999 15:31:00
Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net> writes:

>   Also, Netscape often freezes for relatively long periods of time
> (especially with multiple windows -- and they all freeze), so just because
> it is not doing anything does not necessarily mean it is dead.  I've seen
> Netscape freeze for over a minute, and I quite frequently see it freeze
> between 5 and 20 seconds.

Sometimes Netscape will pop open a dialogue window
(cookies, sending things, switching from secure to
insecure, asking for a password, etc.) but the geometry is
totally whacked out.  My window manager (gwm) deals with
this by drawing a frame around a 0x0 window, leaving me
with a four-pixel-wide vertical bar the normal height of a
window decoration.

When such a dialogue box opens, Netscape will stop doing
anything else until it is dealt with by the user;
sometimes this is as simple as resizing the tiny window,
but sometimes you can't do that (you can end up with a
bigger grey window) -- when that happens, if you are
lucky, just hitting return on the tiny window will
generate a response to the dialogue box, letting you
continue.

Deleting the tiny window also sometimes helps.

        Sean.