Subject: Re: Syslogd stops receiving external logs
To: Scott Beard <sabeard@optelnow.net>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/31/1999 15:36:40
On Sat, 30 Oct 1999 23:07:18 -0500  Scott Beard wrote:

> I noticed this started sometime after I began running the SETI@home
> client on this box.  I am not sure if this is a culprit yet, but thought
> I would ask and see if anyone had an idea.  I will try to gather as much
> info about the set up as I can if you ask.  Right now I am just looking
> for an idea as to where to look first.

syslogd is irritatingly unreliable.  On any read or write error it
stops using that file descriptor.  Output can be re-awoken by sending
it a SIGHUP, but a quick source review suggests that for input
problems it needs to be restarted.

The other time it stops working is when it blocks on output -- syslogd
really should use non-blocking I/O, but it doesn't.

Are messages from local sources being logged?

Are there any "recvfrom" errors logged?

Does netstat -a show the syslog port in use?
     udp        0      0  *.syslog               *.*

For further debugging I would either use ktrace to see what system
calls it is making and/or build a debug version and play with it under
a debugger.  That usually tells the tale.

Regards,

Giles