Subject: Sysinst & 18Gb HD....
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: orione <orione@fol.it>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/28/1999 09:43:58
Hi to all!!!

First of all, I have to give a BIG THANK YOU to all who gave me hint to
get rid of the installation problem of NetBSD 1.4.1 on a 18Gb IDE
Quantum disk. Last night I get a booting and working new child.

Anyway, I had to do all by hand, because sysinst did wrong calculations
and give bad parameter to fdisk & disklabel. Most of all, it seems to
ignore I tell him to figure 16 heads and use instead 255 [with fdisk],
and cut off the cylinders to 16383 instead of use 36808 [in disklabel].

The sysinst of 1.3.2 tought to have an 8Gb disk, but didn't corrupt boot
sector as 1.4.1 do [...to me, at least].
So I have fdisk'ed cloning the values 1.3.2 installation used, corrected
the disklabel to know about all the sectors, then newfs'ed etc. etc.

If someone of You are interested in the dump of the non-working and
working fdisk/disklabel, I can mail it [just don't enclosed here to
avoid a too long message].

Thanx again, hope this is of some help.