Subject: New installation on a machine with 4M ram (Kernel help)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher Smith <chriss@Mufasa.pubserv.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/28/1999 16:45:09
Hi,

Here's my situation:

I have a notebook computer (notice -- "adding more simms" is out of the
question, so don't suggest it ;)

It's a 486slc-50Mhz, 160 or so megs of disk space -- NetBSD actually gets
about 125 minus ~15 for swap space.

I installed the base components last night.  I had to use the "tiny" boot
floppy to install from, because the normal one was too big -- it ran out
of memory. (No problem really so far...)

The base is installed now, and everything seems to be as it should, but
the "generic" kernel is more than three megs in size, and just won't boot
on this machine.

For now I've copied the kernel from the "tiny" floppy to the hard drive,
and it boots under its own power, without a floppy from there.  The
problem is that it boots to a ramdisk, and not to the system that's been
installed (of course. :)

I'm somewhat new to NetBSD, and would like wo know if there's any possible
way to remove the ramdisk from that kernel, and make it boot from the hard
drive -- I can transfer it to another machine for hex editing if
nessecary.

The reason i want to do this is just so that i can get the rest of the
system up and compile my own custom kernel that will work -- i have no
other machine with NetBSD on it.

So, if i can't do that -- is there anyone out there who's got a kernel
that they've successfully used on a 4-meg box, that i could run long
enough to compile my own?

Finally, if that won't work -- what are the chances i can run NetBSD in an
emulator on another machine ... or am i just better off installing to a
spare partition on my disktop machine and building a working kernel on
there?

On a somewhat related note, can anyone tell me how to reference a dos
partition, which is on the same drive as my BSD disklabel -- I can't seem
to find the right device name to mount it with.

The drive is configured like this:

Partition 1 -- DOS

Partition 2 -- BSD
	Slice 1 -- root
	Slice 2 -- swap
Partition 3 -- (Swap space for the notebook to dump memory to when it runs
		out of batteries, so it can pick up where it left off)

If anyone can help me with these problems (especially the kernel one) i'll
be very grateful -- appologies if this has been covered on the list
recently.  I just joined, but i did check the archives and didn't see it.

Thanks,

Chris

Christopher Smith(chriss@pubserv.com)			Prgramer^W Programmer
Prime Synergy of Champaign, IL.
"Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equipped with 18,000 vacuum tubes and
weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes
and weigh only 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, March 1949