Subject: (a) Adaptec 2940U/UW; (b) making floppies
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/26/1999 23:19:16
Does anyone know anything about the Adaptec 2940U/UW?  It's a PCI card
with three SCSI connectors: internal LVD, internal 50-pin ribbon cable,
and external "SCSI-2" (high-density 50-pin).

It shows up as (hand-typed transcription)

vendor 0x9004 product 0x7895 (SCSI mass storage, revision 0x03) at pci0 dev 14 function 0 not configured
vendor 0x9004 product 0x7895 (SCSI mass storage, revision 0x03) at pci0 dev 14 function 1 not configured

Has anyone met one of these under NetBSD?  Does anyone know whether
it's sufficient to add 0x78959004 to the list of recognized IDs in
dev/pci/ahc_pci.c?  I'm going to try that, at any rate, unless I hear
otherwise soon enough. :-)  (The real need is to fix a Windows box that
won't boot, and I intend to do it by cloning the disk from another box
that is fine.  To do this I intend to boot the NetBSD install floppies
and use dd or blt or some such, but now it seems that to see the disk
drives I'll have to build my own custom kernel.  I know fixing Windows
boxen is hardly NetBSD's mandate, but I see it as "anything that NetBSD
can do to help earns brownie points". :-)

The other question is, given the new kernel, how do I build the
floppies?  When it's just one floppy, it's fairly straightforward to
make a filesystem and copy stuff to it; how do the multi-floppy sets
work?  I don't see anything promising-looking in arch/i386/stand....

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca