Subject: resend: Upgrading processor / DECREASED network performance
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/23/1999 18:09:57
Here is a slightly more readable copy of my message!  (That's what I get
for using Netscape for e-mail I suppose).  Sorry about that!

--

Hi,
I recently upgraded my NAT box from a 386/25 (8 Mb ram) to a Pentium 90 (24

So, does anyone have any ideas what might cause network performance to be
lower?  The only chages are new motherboard/processor/RAM.  I'm using the
same (ISA) network cards.  Since most things are faster, I'm assuming it's
not a cache or RAM problem.  Does using ISA cards in a PCI system cause
extra overhead?  Could the PCI-ISA bridge be slow or something?   Could the
fact  that one of the ISA NICs uses DMA in a machine with >16Mb ram be
causing the problem (I don't really know how the bounce-buffer stuff
works).  I've considered getting a couple of PCI cards now that I have PCI
slots, but I would like some idea of whether or not that will solve the
problem.

Thanks!
	Rick