Subject: Re: Soft Errors / DMA errors on IBM 18G ATAPI disk
To: <>
From: jiho <root@mail.c-zone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/21/1999 16:50:05
> I'm  working on reproducing and tracking them now.  It may take a while.

Then again, it may not be necessary.

According to what I just saw with my own eyes, the cpl bits IPL_TTY, IPL_NET
and IPL_BIO are _always_ set, _every_ time the PS/2 mouse interrupt handler is
invoked.

Now, according to what I just read in The Book, if _any_ of those bits is set,
that interrupt handler should be _blocked_ until all three bits are clear.

I'm getting two things from this:

   1.  cpl is never cleared, it is chronically at splhigh();

   2.  the code that should block interrupt handlers based on the bits in cpl
       either ignores it entirely, or has it wrong somehow.

I got lost trying to follow the code path for IRQ handling, so right now I
don't know where the code is, that should be involved here.

Meanwhile, the bottom line:  I think you may be onto something here....

--Jim Howard  <jiho@mail.c-zone.net>