Subject: Re: Soft Errors / DMA errors on IBM 18G ATAPI disk
To: jiho <root@mail.c-zone.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/19/1999 14:10:21
On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 10:53:47AM +0000, jiho wrote:
> So there _is_ a disconnect feature, like with SCSI?  Hmmm....
>
> That's what I was talking about WRT the legendary "lost interrupt" problem,
> suggesting the drive was doing a thermal recalibration.
>
> Is it possible the problem we all have is not with electronics, but with
> protocols -- drives that want to do things the driver doesn't support and
> can't deal with, or in situations where the driver doesn't think such things
> should happen?  That too would be solved by shifting down to an older standard.

I think the 'disconnect' feature has to be explicitely asked by the driver
(I don't have the draft under hands) for each command, so I don't think
this is the problem.
I'm pretty sure now that there is a problem with interrupts in the IDE driver
(or maybe a more general problem which only affects the IDE driver).
It seems that sometimes the IDE driver gets an IRQ even when we're still at
splbio() ...
Still investigating ...