Subject: Re: Soft Errors / DMA errors on IBM 18G ATAPI disk
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/18/1999 11:07:02
On Sun, Oct 17, 1999 at 12:43:39PM -0700, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> The motherboard has the Ali M1541/M1543C chipset.
>
> I guess one question is: Is this a h/w problem that prevents, in the case
> you mention, the Ali (acer) chipset from properly doing ultra dma?
>
> Or is this a problem with NetBSD's inability to massage the Ali chipset
> properly to do ultra dma?

I have:
pciide0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0: Acer Labs M5229 UDMA IDE Controller
pciide0: bus-master DMA support present
pciide0: primary channel configured to compatibility mode
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <ST36531A>
wd0: drive supports 32-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd0: 6204MB, 13446 cyl, 15 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 12706470 sectors
wd0: 32-bits data port
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2

and also some other with different drives, but all are asus motherboards.
Works fine for me.
But is has been reported that some motherboard don't properly do Ultra-DMA,
I think because of electrical properties ...