Subject: Re: Matrox G200 AGP no go?
To: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/17/1999 22:50:14
On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 09:29:08PM +0200, Sean Doran wrote:
> The pair of cards could be the problem.  The MGA AGP card
> Just Works, both with the xsrc.tar.gz from ftp.netbsd.org,
> and (at least under -current) with the snapshot from
> ftp.x.org.
>
> See below.  Note "Matrox MGA G200 AGP rev 1".)

Well, I got it going.  I still don't know what the problem was.  I
plugged the card out of the system, stared at it (looking mean :),
blowed into the motherboard socket, plugged the card in and switched
on the system.  Worked.

I'm running XFree (from NetBSD 1.4.1) at 1280x1024x32 and the display
is noticeably slower than with Virge VX at 1280x1024x16.  Maybe it's
the XFree driver (I guess I should install the latest XFree?), dunno..
I was hoping the Matrox would be faster than the old Virge, even at
32 bits.

(Took some time to configure XFree.. it was picking a wrong modeline
and my monitor decided to turn itself off..)

Anyway, most of the system is now running.. still need to install and
configure a few more packages and partition one disk (and hope the new
DAT keeps my data safe during fsck ;-)

Thanks to all who helped.

  -jm