Subject: Re: ATAPI CD performance (update)
To: None <Federico_Lupi@www.datasys.it>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/15/1999 00:30:18
On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 Federico_Lupi@www.datasys.it wrote:

> I wonder why rcd0d is an order of magnitude faster than cd0d.

This may be a cosmetic effect, I'm not sure. One of the two will NOT
give you the correct data from the cd! (but I forget every time which
one) The other will do weird stuff like duplicating your data a few
times, or padding it with lots of zeroes. This, combinded with the fact
that dd bs=1m to read a cd does not work correctly (the last partial 1m
block causes an error instead of a short read) is rather annoying and
makes copying cd images very slow (only dd bs=2k works correctly but is
slow).

> Federico Lupi
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)