Subject: Re: ld for 1.4.1?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/13/1999 10:25:43
On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Sergey Ivanov wrote:
>
> >     I've installed NetBSD-1.4.1 i-386 snapshot of 99-09-06. I used only boot
> > floppies of 1.4, but all sets was of this snapshot.
>
> That snapshot is not of 1.4.1, it's of "current". The one you want is at
> <ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.1/i386>.

And the big point here is that -current has changed execution formats to
ELF.

> >     After installing I've changed only rc configured from NO to YES, exited
> > from single-user mode to multiuser and tried xf86config. It reported "No
> > ld.so".
> >     What does it mean? Where should I get this "ld.so"?
> >     Then I've installed pkglibtool-1.2p2.tgz, with intention to get tcl, tk
> > and after all XF86Config.
> > But  tcl-8.0.5.tgz said it missed ldconfig. It reported: "/sbin/ldconfig not
> > found".
>
> I'm guessing you're trying to run aout binaries built for 1.4.1 with
> the 1.4? elf kernel. It can be done, but you'd need to install big
> chunks of 1.4.1 under /emul/aout anyway. You'll save yourself a lot of
> trouble if you get the 1.4.1 base &c sets. On the other hand, the 'x'
> sets that you downloaded evidently are built for 1.4.1, (otherwise
> they would've worked on elf), so they should be fine.

Actually it's perfectly ok to run the -current kernel & a.out userland.

The problem is when you try to run a.out binaries when you have ELF
libraries installed. That's what the /emul/aout stuff is for. :-)

I agree the best advice is probably to run 1.4.1.

Take care,

Bill