Subject: Re: Display here.
To: Jonathan Eisch <jeisch@boku.net>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/11/1999 10:57:53
On Sun, Oct 10, 1999 at 10:00:47PM -0500, Jonathan Eisch wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How do I get netbsd 1.4.1 to allow programs run on another computer on
> my lan to display on my desktop.  For instance, I telnet onto my Solaris
> system, and type 'DISPLAY=206.197.X.X:0.0' 'export DISPLAY' where
> 206.197.X.X is the IP of my NetBSD system, and then run a program, like
> StarOffice, or anything.  I get the following error:
> Xlib: connection to "206.197.X.X:0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
1. xhost(1)
xhost +[IP of solaris box]
This has the BIG disadvantage that everybody on that machine can connect to
your Xserver and read the display etc...
Because of this I never use xhost.

2. xauth(1)
(on your machine) xauth extract xauthfile $DISPLAY
transfer xauthfile to solaris box
(solaris box) xauth merge xauthfile
If rsh works, you can use
xauth extract - $DISPLAY|rsh solaris-box xauth merge -
Or write your own script...

3. ssh(1)
I would use ssh. This will transfer X-authorizations automagically, sets
the DISPLAY variable and encrypts the X-connection.
ssh is available as package (security category).

--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.