Subject: Re: installing/running 1.4D
To: jiho <root@mail.c-zone.net>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/1999 02:24:04
On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 03:20:43PM +0000, jiho wrote:
> I saw the line about "FreeBSD code", went looking at what FreeBSD has in their
> -current, and found what looks like virtually the same boot sector code.
>
> So you are saying that _they_ borrowed it from _you_!

That's not what I'm saying.. I'm just saying that most of our bootcode
wasn't derived from theirs. I don't know when their code was written,
or if it was derived from anything at all.

About IDE drive speed: I think NetBSD is the only OS which has it
enabled by default. Which makes a big difference for standard
installations. I haven't compared the speed once you actually enable
DMA features in FreeBSD or Linux, I would think the results weren't
all that far apart. Since I have a few systems with 4 OSs on them,
I'll try that sometime.

- Frank