Subject: Re: "knowing" when a file is available in a directory
To: Eric McWhorter <emcwhorter@xsis.xerox.com>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/06/1999 01:06:47
On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 03:49:59PM -0700, Eric McWhorter wrote:
> Polling some directory for a new file is out of the question.  There
> are a number of userland solutions for producer consumer problems like
> this.  I would like to avoid userland solutions if at all possible,

> Not being especially familiar with the NetBSD kernel, could someone
> tell me if there is a way to get some sort of notification in a

Sounds like what you want is something like the IRIX fam(3x).

I don't know of anything similar done for NetBSD, but given
the many things that are outside your control, polling the
ctime of the incoming directory seems like a comparatively
small evil to me.

Out of interest, what sort of products are you planning
to use NetBSD in?

--
Soren