Subject: Re: de0/pciide0 performance conflict?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/04/1999 13:31:28
On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 06:02:40PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 01:30:02PM -0400, Allen Briggs wrote:
> > > I have pretty much the same setup (it's a K6II/350, but same chipset, and
> > > a de0 board too), I never noticed such problems.
> > > Could you try to have a look at the bios parameters, especially the
> > > latency value ? A value of 32 should be reasonable ...
> >
> > The only latency listed in the BIOS is a CAS latency for which the
> > values are 2 or 3.  What latency are you referring to?
>
> Is this listed with other PCI parameters ? If so, it should be this one.

It's not that value.  That's part of the memory timings.

If your motherboard lets you set this, it ought to be in the "PnP and
PCI" section of the BIOS configuration and will be called something like
"PCI latency timer".  Otherwise, you're going to have to go grovelling
around through PCI config space yourself once the kernel's running.