Subject: Re: FreeBSD/NetBSD disklabels
To: Chris Lloyd <strawberry@toth.org.uk>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@altair.mayn.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/1999 06:26:05
Chris Lloyd wrote:

>I've had NetBSD/i386 installed for some time now on my first hard disk.
>Then I installed FreeBSD on the second hard disk.
>I can mount the FreeBSD partitions on the NetBSD side but not the NetBSD
>partitions on the FreeBSD side. When I look at wd0 using disklabel on FreeBSD
>it all seems to be messed up.

I didn't have any problems mounting a NetBSD 1.4-created filesystem on
FreeBSD 3.3 (scsi disks, though but that shouldn't make a difference).
The FreeBSD kernel spat some lines on my console log concerning non-aligned
partitioning but that was all and everything worked well.  This is just to
say that it is certainly possible to mount NetBSD partitions on FreeBSD
read-write.
If the fbsd disklabel output on netbsd disks looks odd, ignore it.
Just try to mount, it should work ok.

>Are the FreeBSD and NetBSD disklabeling systems completely incompatible?

No, except some alignment stuff, the disklabels themselves are the same
4BSD on-disk layout I would think.

mkb