Subject: Re: de0/pciide0 performance conflict?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/02/1999 19:24:37
> I've got two NetBSD/i386 1.4.1 systems with de cards sitting next to
> each other on a 100Mbps switch (Bay 350T).  Both are configured to
> "media autoselect" and both autoselect "100baseTX full-duplex".

> [various performance weirdnesses]

One thing you might try is to explicitly specify, on both the hosts and
the switch, that you want 100baseTX full-duplex.  A while ago I was
setting up an alpha with a 10/100 network card and was seeing
superficially similar performance problems; turning off all autosensing
on both the switch and the card cured them.

Or, of course, you could be right that it's some kind of contention
within the hosts; the asymmetry seems to point that way already,
especially the difference when you use /dev/null.  And in that case,
forcing 100baseTX FDX "by hand" won't help - though it shouldn't hurt.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca