Subject: "nca at isa" is harmful
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/01/1999 16:45:39
I've just tried to install what is now the top of the
1.4 branch on a spare machine.
The installation went smoothly, but the installed
GENERIC kernel hung solid during autoconfiguration.

I've tracked this down to the nca_match() function.
(nca handles these cheap 53c80 based SCSI controllers.)

The box in question has a SiS 5597/5598 chipset. It is
different from other chipsets in that unused ISA addresses
don't read "all-one", thus is prone to false positives if
a driver relies on this.

Until the driver's probe function is improved, we should
disable it in GENERIC for -current and 1.4.2.
Any objections?

best regards
Matthias