Subject: Re: wscons and X
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/22/1999 08:56:21
You wrote (in your message from Saturday 21)
 > Hmm.  I have changed my keyboard layout in console mode, but X still uses
 > the "regular" keyboard.  I would assume that I should be able to select a
 > wscons protocol of some sort, but how do I tell X to use it?

The X server has its own keyboard mapping code. By default XFree86 is
using the XKB extension which provide its own way to define
keymaps. Unfortunaltly, there is no user oriented documentation
available for XKB configuration at this time, so making your own XKB
map is not trivial.

OTOH, if you disable XKB (by putting 'XkbDisable' in the "Keyboard"
section of XF86Config), the Xserver will initialise its keymap by
reading the current one with the corresponding PCVT ioctl. I haven't
tested it but I assume that the pcvt emulation in wscons implements
that ioctl(), so it should do want you want.
--
					Matthieu