Subject: RE: Nice and not so nice
To: None <abs@anim.dreamworks.com, gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/20/1999 12:55:12
> [ re: nice seti@home could be nicer ]

> From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
>
> David Brownlee wrote:

> >     I believe Ross fixed this between 1.3 and 1.4 (at the same time as
> >     cleaning up some serious alpha related scheduler problems).

> >     If you could update to 1.4.1 ...

> This is a busy server serving a community of 5000 people on mailing
> lists, a web site and ftp server. I don't take upgrading it lightly...
> ;-)
>
> I guess I'll just have to live without SETI@home until I read here and
> elsewhere that 1.4.x is considered solid as a rock and all the wrinkles
> are ironed out.

Yes, I did fix this back in 2/99. It's in 1.4*.

However, I completely agree that if you have a server that is under noticable
load and is in any way important and for which you are happy with a particular
version of NetBSD's stability: do not upgrade casually or to get a non-critical
improvement.

You could backpatch the scheduler mods into your 1.3.2 kernel:

	ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/misc/schedpatch1
	ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/misc/schedpatch2

Notes:
	1. it will help if you put your kernel under a directory called
	   `syssrc' and run the patch from there, or edit the patch

	2. the `#include <sys/sched.h>' will reject, and needs to be edited in
	   by hand to kern/kern_synch.c

	3. I _may_ be able to pull this up to the netbsd-1-3 branch next
	   weekend; you could then check that out with anoncvs

ross.harvey@computer.org