Subject: Re: scsi controllers.
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/15/1999 19:04:00
On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 11:42:01AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 09:19:57 -0600
>  Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org> wrote:
>
>  > What _useful_ SCSI controllers should one buy for a PC if one
>  > wanted a reliable setup with Wide disks?
>
> The AdvanSys Ultra Wide controller works pretty well with the "adw" driver.
>
> Amusingly, it has a product number very similar to the Adaptec ones :-)
>
> AdvanSys ABP-3940UW or ABP-940UW will work okay for you.
>
>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>

I just wanted to second this;  it seems to work reasonably well, and
is also cheaper than the Adaptec one.  :)  I've got the 3940UW-  I was
unsure whether the 3940U2W would work (and the dealer didn't have them in
stock at the moment ;-), so I just got the 3940, and have been satisfied.
The only thing I don't like about it is that I don't seem to be able to
specify which scsi ID to boot off of;  my (limited) tests seem to indicate
it just picks the lowest ID.

+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz