Subject: Re: Could somebody help me connecting to ISP using pppd?
To: Kanghoon Lee <klee@creativecorp.com>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/10/1999 08:31:26
"Kanghoon Lee" wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have just installed NetBSD 1.4 on my machine and was trying to connect to
>ISP using pppd.  I followed faq and setup chat script, but I still could not
>get it to connect.  When I looked at the error file, it seemed to get hung
>up after the ISP sends the login: prompt.  My chat script doesn't seem to
>send login name and password.  In my chat-script, I typed in
>
>login: #klee <-- I had to type "#" in front of my login name in Win95.
>ssword: klee
>
>Is this correct? Do I have to type in quotes or carriage return, line-feed?
>Could anybody send me an example of a chat-script that works?  Any help
>would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Kang

Well, I'd say that you should invoke the chat script with the -v
option.  Then all info will be syslogged.  Make sure that you are
not needing to do CHAP/PAP instead of ogin: assword:.  They can be
set up by:
	o specifying "user foo" in /etc/ppp/options, and
	o creating files /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
	  which have something like:
* * "passwd" *
	  in them.  You might be interested in not putting all the
	  wildcards in, but they are good for testing.

Note:  there are quoting conventions in all of the files mentioned,
so you should be careful about that.  (See the man pages pppd(8)
and chat(8) for details, as I don't remember off the top of my head
what all of them are.)

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==