Subject: Re: Question about upgrading a 386SX from 200MB disk to 6.4GB
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@oreilly.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/09/1999 18:21:56
sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us (Bill Sommerfeld) writes:

>> Does the new egcs compiler really require this much extra time (48+
>> hours) to build a kernel or is my system not really installed
>> correctly?

>egcs is significantly more agressive at optimizations, and thus
>significantly slower and bigger than gcc 2.7.

>Also, the 1.4 GENERIC kernel has enough new drivers, etc., in it that
>the amount of memory left over for the system is significantly
>reduced..

While it is true that egcs needs more memory and cpu to compile, I
don't think it should take 48 hours to compile a kernel.  My kernel
compiles on the 486/66 w/8MB aren't the fastest ones but the machine
isn't trashing badly.  I think it takes a good hour or so to compile a
kernel.

Anyway, whether the machine is trashing or not can be found out with
systat.
--
Christoph Badura					www.netbsd.org

	Anything that can be done in O(N) can be done in O(N^2).
	-- Ralf Schuettau (after looking at a particular piece of code)