Subject: i386, X, and the CL-GD7555 video set
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Hacker <hacker@accessone.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/06/1999 20:49:57
I recently tried to install NetBSD 1.4 on a friend's laptop.  All
went well (wscons is great, btw) except for X.  What happens is
that once X starts my text screens go blank.

Actually the text just disappears.  The only thing on the
screen(s) are the cursor.  I can still login and run commands -
like 'reboot'. :-)

Any thoughts?  A work around would be fine.  Perhaps a utility to
reset the video text mode or something?

-Matthew

--- config info ---

Micron Transport Xpe
Cirrus Logic CL-GD7555 video chipset
NetBSD's XF86 3.3.4 (intially tried 3.3.3.1, then upgraded)
XF86_SVGA server
btw, X works fine when it's running.  Just once it starts all
text goes away.  Quiting X doesn't set it back.