Subject: Pointers on migrating disks from FreeBSD->NetBSD/i386 ?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/05/1999 20:57:28
I've been running FreeBSD on a system of mine for a few months, because I
was unable to get the onboard AIC-7880 from panicking the system under
NetBSD  (1.3 up to 1.4J!).  After a few months of dealing with FreeBSD-3.1,
I finally broke down and bought an Advansys 3940UW, which works nicely
with the adw driver.

However, I don't have the luxury of having spare disks around, at least not
enough to duplicate the storage.  So, as I rebuild the system functionality
under NetBSD, I'd like to be able to mount the FreeBSD-labelled disks
until such time as I'm ready to make the full transition.  (Right now,
I'm dual-booting)

Under FreeBSD, what I've got is this:  a 270M disk with / on it,
and 2 9G disks striped with ccd with /usr, /var, and my /work partition.
I installed another 1G disk with NetBSD on it, and it all boots fine
under both OSes now.  (still wish I could use the onboard AIC-7880, but as
it's beyond my skills...)  I can see a sort-of disklabel for all three
physical FreeBSD drives, but they're slightly different;  under NetBSD,
it claims the partitions (only one per disk) extends past the end of the
disk... seems to be because under NetBSD, the partitions seem to begin
at an offset of 1 track (32 sectors on one disk, 63 on the other two),
although the total sectors/unit is correct.  (Under FreeBSD, the offset
is "0".

The non-ccd disk seems to mount OK (read-only;  don't trust it read-write
yet), but I can't seem to ccdconfig the big one together... the label on
the resulting ccd is bogus.

Is what I'm attempting doable?  Is it even advisable?  :)  Any suggestions
for kludges so I can mount the freebsd ccd partitions r/w would
be *most* welcome... I *really* want NetBSD back on this machine, and
it'll take me a lot longer to do it if I have to have a "flag day" before
the system is completely ready...

Thanks in advance,
+j

--