Subject: ctrl key sequence...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew K. Adams <akadams@wraith.psc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/05/1999 15:49:12
I installed NetBSD 1.4 on my Gateway Solo, model 9150.  Everything
appears to work, except that if I attempt to type a control sequence
with the right control key (either in Emacs or on the command line) the
first key I hit (in parallel with the control key) does not generate
anything.  However, if I hit the key again it then works properly.  In
other words, if I want to type <ctrl>-b (back one character in emacs or
in command line editing), I have to type:

	<ctrl>-b b (two b's while keeping the <ctrl> key held down)

If I continue to hit the "b" key, all of control sequence after the
first is recognized, so it's just the first combination that is getting
lost (or eaten).

To make matters harder to debug, occasionally, in Emacs the control key
sequence does work normally (the first key hit in parallel with the
control key does register), although I have never seen it work properly
in command line editing.  This problem also occurs with the right alt
key as well.  Moreover, as if this problem wasn't bizarre enough, the
left control and alt keys do not exhibit this behavior (they work with
the first sequence hit, all the time).  Furthermore, I also can *not*
reproduce this behavior in Win98.

Today, I borrowed a co-workers Solo (same model as mine) and swapped the
hard drives -- I was able to reproduce the same "double key stroke
control sequence oddity" on his laptop as on my laptop, so I do not
believe that I have flaky hardware (flaky = non-standard for Gateway).

Knowing that the control key sequence works some of the time in Emacs,
all of the time using the left control & alt keys, and all of the time
in Win98, and am now thinking that perhaps this could be something
controllable via WSCONS.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that I could try?  Thanks.

-aka

--
Andrew K. Adams
National Laboratory of Applied Network Research:

	D3 FA 7D 61 FD ED BD D9  0C DE 94 DB 0F 25 D0 2E