Subject: Re: BSD needs BIOS?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Grant Stockly <gussie@stockly.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/04/1999 02:29:02
>On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 02:12:43AM -0800, Grant Stockly wrote:
>> So basically I should rewrite all the drivers I plan to use?  Then put them
>> into a patch so that others can make the kernel?
>>
>> I don't want any BIOS on this thing.  But, I will know the exact hardware
>> configuration when compiling...so would that save time?
>
>Sure. You don't need to touch end drivers. You just need to allocate
>I/O ports and memory and IRQs before doing it.
>
>What I'd do is put a limited knowledge of this in the boot loader
>(if you know your hardware won't change you can just write I/O ports
>and IRQ in the PCI registers, whithout special algorithm to allocate them).
>This way you can run the NetBSD kernel unmodified.
>But putting this in the NetBSD pci scan routine won't be much more work -
>it's just that it's not a stock NetBSD kernel any more, you'll have to
>maintain patches.

This project uses the 386EX with no BUS standard (ISA if you squint your
eyes and tilt your head just soo.  ;)  )

I can get away with calling the hard drive an ISA device (I'll have to add
afew more address decoding chips).  I'm not sure the EXs two onboard serial
ports qualify as an ISA device or attachment.  Could you take a look?

Here are docs for the processor I'm using the Intel386 EX 33MHz (Hopefully
I can get away with using 14.3138MHz).
http://www.stockly.com/EX%20-%2027242007.pdf

Thanks,
Grant