Subject: Re: System freezes under X, or not...
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/02/1999 14:47:36
> > It may not be the same problem.  When I took DDB out of my kernel, the
> > system did a crash, rather than a lockup.
>
> That suggests that the "lockup" was actually a crash into DDB; you
> couldn't see the DDB prompt..

Yes, that was what another suggested (I can't remember how to spell his
name, so I won't risk mangling it...*grin*).  That's why I tried removing
DDB.

> As a first step, can you get a backtrace out of the crash dump?
>
> cd /var/crash
> gdb ./netbsd.0
> (gdb) target kcore netbsd.0.core
> (gdb) where

I should probably read the gdb man page one of these days.  (^&

 /~~~

GNU gdb 4.17
This GDB was configured as "i386--netbsd"...(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) target kcore netbsd.0.core
panic: pagedaemon: clean anon page without backing store?
#0  0xf0217c42 in uvm_pageout ()
(gdb) where
#0  0xf0217c42 in uvm_pageout ()
#1  0xf021f6e7 in cpu_reboot ()
#2  0xf015eaf0 in log ()
#3  0xf0217ef9 in uvmpd_scan_inactive ()
#4  0xf02183cf in uvmpd_scan ()
#5  0xf0217ba3 in uvm_pageout ()
#6  0xf014cc28 in start_pagedaemon ()
(gdb)

 \___

...so.  Does that mean anything to anyone reading this?

I assume that the #0 line is the function most recently entered, and the
others are successively deaper backtraces.  Is that correct?

So far, I have not been able to get SETI@Home to crash again, to see if it
gives the same info.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com