Subject: Re: System freezes under X, or not...
To: Dave Sainty <dave@dtsp.co.nz>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/02/1999 12:25:48
> >   Run X.
> >   Do something that puts a heavy CPU strain on the system.
>
> I get a similar problem, except that the machine in question does not
> run an X server at all, so I doubt your problem is X related.
 [...]
> Hmmm, I've got this once every few days/weeks.  Also after jumping to
> 1.4 (current).  I was waiting until I could comple in DDB to send-pr
> it, but other problems have delayed that.'

It may not be the same problem.  When I took DDB out of my kernel, the
system did a crash, rather than a lockup.  It rebooted, and I now have a
core file (actually, a netbsd.0 and a netbsd.0.core, in /var/crash/).

That was with Quake II; I'll try the SETI client again, and see what it
does.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com