Subject: Re: System freezes under X.
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/02/1999 08:02:20
> >  [...]
> >
> > Has anyone seen similar problems?  This does NOT happen during normal use
> > (e.g., the daily events at 3am run normally; email is sent & received;
> > one can telnet or FTP, etc...).  It ONLY seems to happen when one makes
> > heavy use of the CPU while X is up and running.
>
> Is it possible that your kernel falls into the debugger ?
> You could try to recmpile a kernel without 'options DDB' and see if you
> get a core dump ...

Ah, yes, it's still in there.  (^&  Okay, assuming that that's what's
happening, I do have a spare computer (an old Amiga); if the DDB runs out
the serial port at no more than 38400 (or maybe 57600) bps, I can
nullmodem them together and maybe investigate this further.

> When the box looks up, did you have any X activity, or does it also happen
> when the display is idle ? Could be that your video board looks up the
> PCI bus (I've seen this happen ...).

SETI@home seemed to lock up w/o any display activity.  The Quake II game
is generating continuous activity.  It could be hardware, of course, but
it never gave me fits under 1.3/1.3.3, and even MS-WINDOWS ran about as
well as can be expected.  (^&

I'll remove DDB, rebuild the kernel, and see if I can induce a core-dump,
though.  Thanks.  I'll let you know what happens.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com