Subject: Re: Two (unrelated, I hope) problems with MS-DOS filesystems...
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/29/1999 09:08:39
In message <19990729144656.A19577@antioche.lip6.fr>, Manuel Bouyer writes:
>On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 12:24:29AM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
>> Well, I'm having two problems, both sort of involving DOS filesystems.
>>
>> Problem #1:  I can't mount a DOS partition.  I have an fdisk table telling
>> me start and end blocks.  I have built a disklabel where wd0d has the same
>> set of blocks.  'mount_msdos' fails, complaining of an invalid argument.

>You really should have used something else than wd0d, it's the raw partition
>(c and d are reserved on i386).

Oh, are they?  Damn.

Can we *please* get 16 partitions on i386?  I'm already using a, e, f, g, and
h for "real" partitions.  If 'b' is reserved for swap, 'c' is reserved for
the whole NetBSD partition, and 'd' is reserved for the entire disk, I can
only have 5 partitions on a disk, which is *pathetic*.

(You can tell my first NetBSD system was an amiga...)

Just out of curiousity, what breaks if we increase the # of partitions?  Have
we already filled our disklabel block?

-s