Subject: Re: laptop questions
To: Mirian Crzig Lennox <lennox@alcita.com>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/29/1999 11:43:37
Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
> (2) Is there any known reason why using my serial port with Minicom
> and a modem sould cause the system to lock up hard? (i.e. can't even
> ctrl-alt-esc into DDB).  This happens reliably at any speed and
> regardless of flow control settings.  It also happens with a null
> modem cable connected to another PC.  The hang doesn't happen until
> DTR is high.

All I can say is "me too".. This may be something I was confusing with
vnlocking earlier. This is with getty on tty01 with a modem. Unplugging
an replugging the modem unhangs the PC. This is what I have in my ttys
file:

tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"  unknown on secure local

What exactly does local do? (Is related to DTR isn't it?)

Cheers,

Patrick