Subject: Re: Hardware
To: Frank van der Linden , Jeff Northon <jeffo@sasq.net>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/27/1999 17:46:04
	Hi Frank.  The basic problem seems to be that the 3c905B-Tx-nm cards
do something funny with their phy hardware such that the ex driver in 1.4
cannot do media selection on the card.  The result is that if the card and
the hub/switch get confused about such things as transmit/receive speeds
and/or half or full duplex modes, there is no way to manipulate the card
via the ifmedia interface.  The card is recognized, but no exphy0 is ever
initialized.  I looked at our driver side by side with the FreeBSD 3.1
driver, which worked, and noted that it seemed to be more particular about
the timing of the data stream shoved at the phy hardware, but could never
figure out what the subttle difference was.  Basically, mii_probe failed to
recognize the phy when it tried to test for its existence with
ex_media_readreg().  This problem seems to be confined to -nm and -m cards.
-Brian