Subject: Does NetBSD/i386 1.3.x/1.4.x not like my Adaptec AHA-3940 card?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/27/1999 07:12:37
Hi folks.

I normally use a SPARCstation-20 with NetBSD/SPARC at home and at work, so
I'm not a regular reader of port-i386.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the following problem I'm
having trying to upgrade a generic no-name Pentium 133 PC from NetBSD/i386
1.2.1 to NetBSD/i386 1.4.

I don't remember the first version of NetBSD I got up and running on it -
I think it was 1.1 - but I was able at some point to put 1.2 and then 1.2.1
on it without trouble, as far as I know.  It was running 1.2.1 until this
week.

I am under the gun to get it up to 1.4 as part of my work's Year 2000 program,
since 1.2.1 is not Y2K-compliant.

Every time I have tried to upgrade it to either 1.3.x or, now, 1.4, I get the
same problem:

The system boots from the installation floppy, gets to the point where it
has newfs'd the filesystems (which works fine), and then it goes to start
putting binaries on the system, and once it gets to the screen that says

	Populating filesystems with bootstrapping binaries and config files...

the system locks up solid with the red Disk Activity light on (and the green
light on the disk drive on solid too, naturally).

There have been only *2* times that I have been able to get past this point.
Both times have come after I'd just freshly re-formatted the disk drive in
the machine - a 2 Gb Seagate Hawk.  (Yup, got desperate and reformatted it.)

In those cases, I got as far as being able to download the sets from my SS20,
and after newfs'ing, it gets to the point where it tries to unbundle kern.tgz
via the command

	pax -zrvpe -f /mnt/usr/src/binaries/1.4/i386/kern.tgz

and as soon as it shows (in verbose mode) "netbsd", it once again locks up
solid with the red Disk Activity light on and green disk LED on.

I even went and took a spare 4 Gb Seagate Barracuda drive I had lying around
and installed that.   Same thing - locks up solid at "Populating filesystems".

The Adaptec 3940 is a dual-channel board; Channel A is also attached to the
external interface, on which I have an HP ScanJet IIc scanner.  Removing the
scanner has no effect.  Also, I tried moving the internal drive onto channel B
(leaving the scanner alone on channel A), that had no effect either.

I'm baffled by this behavior.  When it got as far as downloading the sets
before it wedged at the "pax" invocation, it was able to FTP all of the sets
with no problem (as well as do the newfs's), so it's not like it's having
problems writing large amounts of data to disk.  So why does it lock up when
doing an unpacking via "pax" yet it didn't do it when it was writing all those
big distribution files via FTP?  And given the fact that it does it with 2
completely different disks, to me that says it must be something that's
controller/driver-dependant.

Any ideas?  Is my Adaptec board dead, because it locks up like this?

	- Greg

P.S. Boot-time /kern/msgbuf follows:

------------------  >8  Cut here ... valuable coupon   8< -------------------

NetBSD 1.4 (INSTALL) #0: Fri May  7 12:49:05 PDT 1999
    perry@cynic.cynic.net:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/INSTALL
cpu0: family 5 model 2 step b
cpu0: Intel Pentium (P54C) (586-class)
real mem  = 66715648
avail mem = 58359808
using 840 buffers containing 3440640 bytes of memory
mainbus0 (root)
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1
pci0: i/o enabled, memory enabled
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0
pchb0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x122d (rev. 0x01)
pcib0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0
pcib0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x122e (rev. 0x02)
pciide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1: Intel 82371FB IDE controller (PIIX)
pciide0: bus-master DMA support present
pciide0: primary channel wired to compatibility mode
pciide0: disabling primary channel (no drives)
pciide0: secondary channel wired to compatibility mode
pciide0: disabling secondary channel (no drives)
de0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0
de0: interrupting at irq 10
de0: SMC 9332DST 21140 [10-100Mb/s] pass 1.1
de0: address 00:00:c0:73:ac:bf
de0: enabling 10baseT port
ppb0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0: vendor 0x1011 product 0x0001 (rev. 0x02)
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
pci1: i/o enabled, memory enabled
ahc1 at pci1 dev 4 function 0
ahc1: interrupting at irq 10
ahc1: aic7870 Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
scsibus0 at ahc1 channel 0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
scsibus0 targ 2 lun 0: <HP, C1750A, 3226> SCSI2 3/processor fixed not configured
ahc2 at pci1 dev 5 function 0
ahc2: interrupting at irq 11
ahc2: aic7870 Channel B, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
scsibus1 at ahc2 channel 0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
ahc2: target 0 synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset = 0xf
sd0 at scsibus1 targ 0 lun 0: <SEAGATE, ST15150N, 0017> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0: 4095MB, 3712 cyl, 21 head, 107 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 8388315 sectors
vendor 0x1002 product 0x4758 (VGA display, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 15 function 0 not configured
isa0 at pcib0
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns8250 or ns16450, no fifo
com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3: ns8250 or ns16450, no fifo
isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: ISA Plug 'n Play device support
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff: using exception 16
pc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x6f irq 1: color
pc0: console
fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB, 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
fd1 at fdc0 drive 1: 1.44MB, 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
isapnp0: no ISA Plug 'n Play devices found
biomask c40 netmask c40 ttymask c42
md0: internal 1587K image area
boot device: fd0
root on md0a dumps on md0b